Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sharks and Stuff

There’s been a lot of hype about shark repellent products.
The shark Shield and Shark Pod are well documented on the net. There are plenty of testimonials, guarantees and scientific explanations as to how and why either device will keep you safe, and I believe them. The evidence looks good and I’m an easy sell. If a scientist told me that rubbing Vaseline in my ears and lining my wetsuit with cabbage leaves would protect me from sharks, I’d do it. All I want to know is how much the sucker costs.

I’d like to be like those surfers who frequent secret spots, where big sharks are known to breed and eat trespassers. The waves are generally worth the risks. Look at the Transkei— beautiful place, amazing waves, full of big sharks. But if I don’t have modern technology protecting me, I want at least 5 other people around to give me better odds of survival. Without that sort of assurance I’m too scared of losing limbs or dying. Forget about braving the reserve in PE alone, or having a quick session at Rocky’s after work by myself. I can’t get into that sort of mind frame. I’d rather slog it out at Pipe with 40 other people. I’ll sit at the backline and talk about the old days with John Scheepers and co, which is almost as entertaining as a surf in good waves.

But here is the crux of the matter: if the shark pod or shark shield costs 50 thousand Rand, I can’t have one. And it seems awfully strange that none of the websites advertising them will break the news of how much you’re in for. They butter you up with diagrams and video footage of some guy open water diving next to a 6 meter Great White.

I’m not him.

Maybe it’s a good thing the shark shield and pod are not a huge commercial success though. Tourism and industry can wreck a place like the Kei.

Anyone see read the paper this morning? David Jacobs is my new hero- he's the Michaelangelo of building sand castle. Check out http://www.theherald.co.za/.

Oakley Pro Junior Global Challenge
Nick Godfrey (Cape St. Francis) and Shaun Joubert (Mossel Bay) have both made it to the quarterfinals of the Oakley Pro Junior Challenge. Joubert will be up against a Brazilian laaitie name Miguel Popo, while Godfrey takes on Hawaiian Dusty Payne. As far as I know there is no live feed for the event, so we’ll have to wait for those results to be released. If you want to see footage of round 2 and the lay day’s free surfing session, follow this link: http://www.surfline.com/video/video_player/video_player.cfm?id=19308

WQS NEWS
Greg Emslie came second in the Rio Surf Pro International last week. Nice one. The result sees him go from 17th of the WQS to 9th on the qualifying tour. David Weare is now sitting at 6th, so there are two South Africans looking at Championship Tour re-qualification.

No comments: