Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Formal Apology to Maximus

I was up at 7am, drinking coffee on the balcony, watching a small group of surfers dart across the glassy peaks at Fence. The waves weren’t perfect, but it looked like the kind of fun kids have on a free rollercoaster. It was overcast and windless— perfect conditions for PE. Sadly I couldn’t be one of them. I’m nursing a trashed ankle after an embarrassing fall at Seals last Saturday. I pirouetted on the slime- covered rocks in the channel, twisting my foot and scraping a few essential layers of skin off my toes. So I’m landlocked until my body grows more. Maxi’s been passing me some dirty looks of late, outraged by my carelessness that has led to him being robbed of daily walks along Kings Beach. I’m sorry big guy.

If anyone wants to read about what it’s like to spend a season on the North Shore, there is a link from the zigzag website to their Hawaii blog (www.zigzaghawaiiblog.blogspot.com). There are some pretty entertaining stories on offer.

No comments: