Monday, January 12, 2009

Why I’d hate to be a South African rugby or cricket star.

I like to believe I’m above certain sporting events. The Currie Cup, Seven a side rugby matches, 5 day cricket tests and soccer. That stuff is for hardcore fans- the sort of people who subscribe to DSTV for the sports channels. Not me. Unless it’s the world cup, or an equally lofty event, I’d rather be doing something else.

I learned something about myself this weekend though— I become a monster when I watch a South African team compete. My cool indifference to sports is just a way of saving face.

During the SA/ Australia 20 20 game yesterday I found myself standing on the couch, biting my nails and wailing instructions at Gibbs, Boucher and Morkel. I wanted to climb through the TV set, pad up and bat for the guys. And I’m willing to bet that most people finishing standard 1 this year know more about cricket than me. It’s just way sporting events get your blood pumping that makes a maniac out of people who are normally relaxed that concerns me. Thank heavens there weren’t a few brandy and cokes in the mix before the match started.

And then I try to imagine what it must be like for a South African rugby or cricket payer cruising through a shopping center after losing to the Ausies. I’m pretty sure everyone who played cricket in school must stop them and say, “Hey! Check it out! It’s Mark Boucher! Pleasure to meet you. Listen boet, my old coach, Bernie Earst, showed me this trick when I was in under the 11 B team. What you gotta do the next time Tait bowls a lekker fast one at you is…” and so on.

That’s precisely why I don’t watch sports (except on special occasions).

No comments: